Thursday, November 17, 2011

No Place Like Home

I can't believe the last time I posted on here I was in Germany! It seems like so long ago, like a dream. Do I miss it? Absolutely, I think about it every day. I miss my friends of course, my crazy Euro coworkers, the beautiful mountains that surrounded my life there, and traveling nearly every month!! It was one of the best long-term experiences of my life, right up there with going to college. Thirteen months was a long time. I enjoyed (nearly) every minute of it. However, I must say how glad I am to be home. To be with my family, see my friends, sleep in my bed, share in eternal life with fellow saints at church, shopping trips to Target and Wal-Mart (sorely missed in Germany), and just the joy of being back in America. After having been through 36 US states and traveled to 10 countries, I must say there is no place like home. I will say that I regret not writing posts about each trip I took and I might have to amend that in the future of this blog.

I've been looking for a job off and on, and at the same time trying to decide on the type of job I'd like. I've concluded that since I love going downtown so often, my ideal job would be working in a skyscraper as a secretary, assistant, or some type of office clerk. We shall see what the Lord wants for my life though. For now I am waiting on getting a job until my sister has her baby and keeping busy by helping her with my nephews, Nathanael (3) and Isaac (nearly 2). They are incredibly sweet, say the funniest things, forever telling everybody in our family how much they love us, and very teachable. Today I watched them for several hours while their parents went to the doctor's office. We sang Christmas carols, listened to part of a MacArthur sermon, played the piano, and wrapped presents. I feel like they're my little brothers, sometimes my sister calls me their big sister. :) Stephy is due to give birth December 5th, coming up in two weeks! Hard to believe baby Hadassah Star will finally be here!

Since returning home I have done a bit of reading on various topics. I finally read one book that I have wanted to read for some time, mainly because I was attracted to the title, All Quiet on the Western Front. It's a novel about World War I, written from a German perspective which was definitely unique and very fascinating; particularly to get an idea of what German soldiers were like during that time period, their dreams for themselves, and how they dealt with the ugliness of what they were experiencing. The author was a German veteran of that "great war" and he wrote detailed accounts of the fighting and horrors of it, I got a better idea of how truly awful it was for both sides. It has been called the greatest war novel, and after reading it, I can now see why. As for the title, it has a certain irony that is understood with a tragic end. I also like the sound of A Raisin in the Sun, has anyone read that?

Living and working in a military environment in Germany greatly increased my appreciation for, and interest in, all things military. There I met amazing service members from various branches who demonstrated a spirit of selfless service, courage, humility, and honor. As a result I am now reading, What It Is Like to Go to War, a nonfiction book about (you guessed it!) what war is really like (the author is a Vietnam Veteran), the combat experience, and the necessity of better preparing soldiers mentally and spiritually for what they will be asked to do, namely, kill the enemy. I'm barely on chapter two but it has been a phenomenal read and I've appreciated the glimpse in the making of a warrior- "At the level of turning boys into shock troops for American society, the drill instructor had to teach the lesson that no matter how tough things got, there was more in you. You never quit." I imagine this principle has contributed in saving many lives and really is the heart beat of boot camp. The book was published recently (2011) and I discovered it on the Army's Facebook page. I'll probably write a book review when I complete it.

Well, that's all folks!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Really enjoyed all great pics you posted on facebook too. DSS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Jenna! I always enjoy hearing what is going on in your life. :) Tell Steph and Derek that I absolutely love the name Hadassah Star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,
    I'm glad your home. Its really fun to have you here keeping me on the straight and narrow. Let me know if there is anything I could do to make your stay more enjoyable. BTW, please try to remember to feed your cat.

    pb~

    ReplyDelete